Monday, June 22, 2009

Music on the streets...







June 23
More images of the way music permeates the streets of Istanbul. There are musicians on the street, in the terrace cafes, everywhere.... When there are no live musicians present, there is almost always music piped into the streets from the shops. This reminds me of being in Pokora, where the same piece of music, Piridi, was played every morning in the village as shopkeepers prepared for the day. I have heard no more joyous music, no more jubilant way to begin a new day, than through that song. My 8th graders begin the year by dancing the Piridi, eating star fruit... and knowing that I'd like them to accept risk trying many new adventures as we begin the year. Also, in symbolic English teacher fashion, I let them know that they, like the star fruit, are each shining stars in my eyes...
May you find music and let it take over your soul today...
Namaste,
Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment